What changes to Classic would you tolerate from Blizzard?

Discussion forum related to Light's Hope in general.
Jeddite

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 am

Really cannot agree with a "50G MAKES SPEC DECISIONS MORE MEANINGFUL" -- especially if the example being used is a Mage. A Mage is damage and only damage.

A 50G respec means that a group/raid looking for healers and tanks is going to be waiting longer -- as the incentive for a Warrior, Paladin, Druid, Shaman (or Priests, to a lesser extent) to shell out 50G/100G for a single dungeon run is going to be low. (INCOMING HUMBLEBRAG: not everybody playing hybrid classes has 8000G waiting to be spent frivolously -- and even Jeddite isn't too keen on "wasting" 100G to switch to Protection or Restoration so that I can tank/heal one Dead Stratholme or DM:Tribute run.) So that group can keep "LF1M" because it's not not worth the money (or the hassle to redo my action bars). Dual-Spec largely solves this matter.

However, the choices arent necessarily "Classic 50G Respec -v.- Funserver Dual-Spec". Other compromises exist (I think the 25G cap works well). There's "non-Vanilla" alternative changes, such as increasing the respec cost by 1G each time (instead of 5G), or increasing the rate of the "decay" (say, 5G per 7 in-game days). If "Dual Spec" was implemented, it could have a higher price-tag than on retail (say, 2000G -- so if you want the ability, you gotta pay for it -- for each Level 60 character).

Not all "non-Vanilla" changes/suggestions are created (un)equal. Those of us who have played since Day 1 (or before) certainly have ideas on what could be done to improve on the original "Level 1 to Farming Kel'Thuzad" experience.
Last edited by Jeddite on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
/king redards STFU
Nigredo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 am

Not sure why gotmilk is getting so defensive. Seems like you wanna play a wrath era server or cata. Classic wow doesnt need to be changed into a different mmo then it was when we already have those.
gotmilk0112

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 am

Nigredo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 am
Not sure why gotmilk is getting so defensive.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem
Nigredo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 am

I think you may wanna re-read your posts. You're the only one getting emotional and deflecting here. Good luck and have fun with whatever version of the game you choose to play in the future.
Syphotheosa

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am

Personally, I am not too optimistic about LH or Blizzards Classic anyway.
I played Classic 2004-2006 and had the mmo time of my life. Nothing can reproduce that for me personally, regardless of 50 gold respec or not xD
I just hope that they offer pure Classic so that future gamers can experience the same game with all its edges and flaws like I did. I believe that the secret of "Classic WoW magic" roots in these edges and flaws, each of them.

Nevertheless, anything is just a shadow of the past for me. Classic WoW lacks the aspect of mystery and freshness that it had in Vanilla and TBC. So my hopes are rather low anyway. I couldn't care less ;)
gotmilk0112

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Nigredo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 am
You're the only one getting emotional and deflecting here.
And you're the only one who is not addressing my points at all, instead choosing to attack my character with petty insults. :D
Logical

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

gotmilk0112 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 pm
Exactly what I meant when I said that any change, no matter how small, would cause the purists to REE and cry that it will break the game.

"muh important talent choices!!" is not a good reason to put an artificial limit on potential playstyles that each class has. What does "important talent choices" even mean? It's not 2005 anymore, all of the cookie cutter "best" specs are widely known, and you either use those, or you're gimping yourself. Talent choices are not important, there are very few places where you can actually make meaningful decisions between one talent or another. Most talent rows and talent specs have a clear-cut "best" combination of places to spent your points.

If you can come up with a logical reason as to why giving players more choices in how to play their characters is a bad thing and would "impact" the game in a negative way, then go right ahead. But throwing out buzzword-excuses like "important talent choices" isn't exactly an argument against dual spec. Every argument against dual spec that I've seen has been one based in emotion and feelings rather than logic.
Avid PvPers could find issue with reduced respec costs as it would allow opponents to change their spec frequently/easily. Of course, some hardcore PvPers may welcome the change for this very reason and vary their spec constantly to bamboozle their opponents. On the other hand, reduced respec costs or dual-spec would result in many more people PvPing which is desperately needed.

Dual-spec allows hybrid classes to play two completely different roles while maintaining multiple sets of gear; makes hybrid classes more attractive than pure classes to many players.

As for some other changes I would welcome/tolerate:
  • Average server population increase, can't have low pops now it would feel dead
  • QoL changes that I personally approve of which don't detract from the overall game experience (I'm a busy man)
gotmilk0112

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Logical wrote:
Dual-spec allows hybrid classes to play two completely different roles while maintaining multiple sets of gear; makes hybrid classes more attractive than pure classes to many players.
Perhaps, but even in retail, classes are (relatively) evenly distributed. With the exception of Monk/DH being the lowest, since they were introduced much later.

https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/global-stats/classes

Even with being able to freely change between all 3 specs whenever you want, the most-played class is a pure DPS.

Besides, with vanilla's class balance, hybrids are not capable of performing the same as pures. Hybrids taking over would not happen in vanilla, simply because of the way classes are balanced. So, Paladin will never replace warrior for tanking, Shaman will never replace Mage for dps, etc.
Logical wrote:
Average server population increase, can't have low pops now it would feel dead
Retail realms were capped at around 2500, but I think we could go up to around 4k without the zones feeling too crowded.

Vanilla definitely wasn't designed around having 8k+ online, like we have here on Lightbringer.
Logical wrote:
QoL changes that I personally approve of which don't detract from the overall game experience (I'm a busy man)
Yeah, AoE looting would be nice, if only to make it so you don't have to position your mouse on the very perfect pixel in order to loot one corpse that's underneath others. As would things like smooth dismounting from spellcasting, that was introduced in TBC. Stuff like that.
Logical

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

gotmilk0112 wrote:
Retail realms were capped at around 2500, but I think we could go up to around 4k without the zones feeling too crowded.

Vanilla definitely wasn't designed around having 8k+ online, like we have here on Lightbringer.
I forgot to consider that servers will be regional instead of the melting pot we have here, so population fluctuations should be much more dramatic. I have to give this more thought but the peak populations should definitely be raised if they were actually 2500. From what I remember when I played retail vanilla on Mannoroth (US East, first PvP server to open AQ gates), I feel the peak populations were a bit higher than 2500, but I'm not sure, it was a different era.
gotmilk0112 wrote:
Yeah, AoE looting would be nice, if only to make it so you don't have to position your mouse on the very perfect pixel in order to loot one corpse that's underneath others. As would things like smooth dismounting from spellcasting, that was introduced in TBC. Stuff like that.
AoE looting was one that I had in mind. In the same vein, an ignore list for items you don't want to loot, auto bag organization, customization options, etc. Wouldn't mind any interface changes that make the game more smooth. I think revised/more graveyard locations in certain zones should be welcomed by all, new generation players will need it.
gotmilk0112

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Logical wrote:
I have to give this more thought but the peak populations should definitely be raised if they were actually 2500.
the "2500" number comes from an article about WoW from late 2004 / early 2005, where Blizzard stated that their servers were "at capacity" with 200,000 players. Being that they had 40 servers at launch, 200,000 players across 40 servers = 2,500 per server.

By AQ, they definitely had more servers and increased population caps.
Logical wrote:
AoE looting was one that I had in mind. In the same vein, an ignore list for items you don't want to loot, auto bag organization, customization options, etc. Wouldn't mind any interface changes that make the game more smooth. I think revised/more graveyard locations in certain zones should be welcomed by all, new generation players will need it.
Addons can do a lot of that already, really. But it wouldn't hurt to just take the most popular vanilla addons and just make official versions baked into the client. If the purists get all screechy about it, they can be reminded of that fact; that people are just going to do it with addons anyway, so what difference does it make that blizz is including it by default?

More graveyards, yes. That would be wonderful. But really only for zones that desperately need it, like Un'Goro...no matter where you die in that zone, you ALWAYS spawn at the single graveyard all the way on the eastern edge of the zone. Fuck that shit. Put a graveyard in the middle of the zone instead, or put one over on the western side. I do see that there is a spirit healer at the flight point area, but for some reason there's no graveyard there.

Return to “General”